Thursday 4 July 2019

The vision at last

This I fancy is what I have chiefly worked to record this evening, against the day when my work will be done and perhaps no place left in my memory, warm or cold, for the miracle that ... [hesitates] ... for the fire that set it alight. What I suddenly saw then was this, that the belief I had been going on all my life, namely - [KRAPP switches off impatiently, winds tape forward, switches on again] - great granite rocks the foam flying up in the light of the lighthouse and the wind-gauge spinning like a propeller, clear to me at last that the dark I have always struggled to keep under is in reality my most - [KRAPP curses, switches off, winds tape forward, switches on again] - unshatterable association until my dissolution of storm and night with the understanding and the fire - [KRAPP curses louder, switches off, winds tape forward, switches on again ] - my face in her breast and my hand on her.

Samuel Beckett, Krapp's Last Tape


Calm and limpid morning, facing bank clearly visible even before dawn. No clouds. Wind N-NE, quite humid. Rather cold: 8°C.
Cold feet, cold paws, cold and wet nose, shiny coat (which is as much as can be said of the neighbour's dog).

 2019.7.4.1

 2019.7.4.2

 2019.7.4.3

 2019.7.4.4

 2019.7.4.5

 2019.7.4.6

2019.7.4.7

No comments:

Post a Comment